Friday, June 4, 2010

Tea Rooms and Strawberries

The front room of this Cape Cod house became The Little Green Light in the 30s and early 40s'.

I remember "The Little Green Light" tearoom on Summer Street. I was very little when my Mom would visit with Moyra Banner and Dot King at the Banner residence; this was just a short walk past the Seaview Garage, and next to the chapel, the old Sea View schoolhouse. We would enter through the back door into the kitchen, where the center of activity was. A long table near the window always had a bowl of cookies on it and I was always welcome to help myself, however Mom kept her eye on me.

Mom would have a cup of tea while chatting with Moyra and Dot as they went about business getting ready for customers. Dot would have a stack of sandwiches, crusts removed and squared up. The crusts were going to be used for bread pudding. Yuk! Later when I took my lunch to the North School, Mom had to remove the crusts from my sandwiches.

The front room was very bright and was set with sparkling settings. I was not allowed in, but I could see in from the doorway. Dot was always fussing with something in that room. I'm sure Mom planned her visits so not to interfere with customers, as I never remember any. I don’t think the tearoom operated during the war.

This business card was found in Vermont by a vintage post card collector.
Years later, this incredible find was obtained by my cousin in Florida.
It is in pristine condition. Donated by cousin Jan.


There were roadside tables of strawberries everywhere in town, and Summer Street had its share during the season. Earl Banner, Moyra's husband, raised strawberries in his back yard and had a tableful out front. Mom would buy a box on occasion and we would have a bowlful with cream and powdered sugar on top. My Dad and I loved them! But best of all, on a special occasion, Mom would make a mess of biscuits, put one in a bowl, cover it with strawberries, and top it with whipped cream, I could never get enough of the whipped cream! Do you remember licking the beaters?

Not until sometime later I learned that Mr. Banner was raising Marshall berries. The way he bragged about "his Marshall berries,” I always thought he developed them. Not until recently, I found out a Mr. Marshall F. Ewell of Spring Street introduced the" Marshall" in 1890. It had exceptional taste and firmness, and has been described as " The Best Eating Strawberry In America." It flourished in the Pacific Northwest, but was devastated by viruses after the war. The "Marshall" is currently being maintained by the USDA National Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis, Oregon.

Mr. Banner was still selling berries after the war, and I wonder if he was trying desperately trying to save the "Marshall" or just loved that berry.

Marshall Berries, Photograph by Leah Gauthier'


by Ray Frden
Originally published in the Marshfield Mariner, May 21, 2008

1 comment:

  1. What else do you recall, how did ms. King come in possession of the house?

    ReplyDelete