Wednesday, January 3, 2018

My Christmas Story

My story begins  with my first Christmas------ December 25th, 1934.


 My friends and I were waiting patiently in our box on the table in the dining room.
A freshly cut pine tree was standing in the front window. It too, was waiting to be decorated soon.


It was very, very quiet -- not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
Then suddenly a man did appear,
dragging a chair, which he placed by the tree.
Up he climbed and attached a beautiful spear.

 Next he wrapped the tree with lights -- strings of garland and cotton snow,
 a Santa hung high, the mushroom down low,
 a little boy with a tall hat, a bear -- then me,
we all were hung on bouncy branches around the tree.





Tinsel was draped from branch to branch,
and with the slightest draft, every strand shimmered and danced.
All was quiet for the next day --
but, we were excited to be out after a long stay.
Then into the house there rose such a clatter,
when what to my eyes should appear, but a miniature person crying and screaming as there was something the matter!
The man had returned with a beautiful lady carrying this noisy spoof.
This bundle of joy was born December 10th to Bill and Ruth.
Now the quiet was in shambles -- but no matter,
I will hang around in spite of the clatter.
For the next few days I watched the family hustle about doing Christmasy things,
Two large stockings and one small, were hung from hooks and rings.
Boughs of greens were placed  around -- the wonderful smells of Christmas were abound.
Santa came and went and left a present or two, It was rather skimpy around the tree -- you see,
because it was a Christmas during  the Great Depression.
And William Raymond was Bill & Ruthy's Christmas present.
On Christmas day, Nana and Gramps came bearing gifts.
It was all recorded on Baby's First Christmas list.

Relatives, neighbors and friends were generous with a rattle or two.
I watched the gang dwindle to a few, and then knew -- this day was nearly through.
I was soon to be put away for a year -- along with the others, including the spear.
This routine has been going on for many-a-year -- It has been 83 times I'm out and free --
to be hung on a pretty Christmas tree,
I really don't know how many more times I'll last,
you see I'm delicate -- I'm only made of glass!
But I'm feeling sure -- I'll  see my family once more,
That will be when I'm eighty four.


Pluto is my younger  friend,
we'll hang together to the end.
Clowning around is fun.
Good by for now -- I've gotta run.
The little Clown
     
 "Christmas isn't a season
  It's a feeling."
  - Edna Ferber

No comments:

Post a Comment